Monday, June 9, 2008

Voices Talk to Me When I'm tired...

I'm exhausted. I was up until about 12:30 last night grading my students' final essays (a 6-8 page monstrosity on the effects of apathy in society). There were almost 70 essays, and I felt the need to comment on every one of them.

My husband, around 9 PM or so (I started grading at 1 PM and only took about four or so breaks), came in and told me I shouldn't bother writing comments on the essays since the kids wouldn't read them.

Today, when the greedy little jerks swarmed me before school, I gave them their essays one-by-one and sat there and made them read the comments!!

Anyway, I'm beat. But Rachelle Garner has a great post on voice, something I've been blogging about for awhile now.

So how do you find your voice? You can't learn it. You can't copy it. Voice isn't a matter of studying. You have to find it. And the only place to find it is within you.

3 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

OK, I so agree with this. Voice is inside each of us and sometimes needs to be yanked out. Many methods to do this, and even then it likes to go back and hide in its cozy place. And then we have to coax it back out again.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to put it!

Keri Mikulski said...

Kudos to you for leaving a comment on every paper! :) I'm always working on my voice, trying to push myself to let the stuff that I want to say just roll out of my brain instead of trying to censor myself. Great link - thanks!