Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tu Publishing Becomes Tu Books

Saw this at Jill Corcoron's site:
Stacy Whitman's Tu Publishing is now Tu Books, an imprint of Lee & Low Books.
LEE & LOW BOOKS, the respected independent children's book publisher specializing in diversity, has acquired Tu Publishing, an independent press focusing on multicultural fantasy and science fiction for middle grade and young adult readers. http://blog.leeandlow.com/2010/03/09/announcing-tu-books/

 This led me to the press release, on which I noticed this:
Supporters met Whitman’s project with great enthusiasm and donated funds via the online organization Kickstarter to help launch the company. Through many small donations, Tu Publishing surpassed its $10,000 goal, catching the attention of LEE & LOW.

“The fact that Tu was able to raise so much money indicates that there is a real need for this,” says Low.

And that just made me smile.

You mean my $25 that I donated to Tu Publishing made a difference? Not just in terms of starting up Tu Publishing, but also in making Tu Publishing be noticed by other people, higher up in the business, who are now going to make diversity in fantasy and science fiction and even bigger prerogative--something which is already garnering national attention?

That, my friends, was $25 well spent. And a lesson to us all: if we believe in something, a donation, no matter how small, really does make a difference. I'm not trying to make myself look grand with a measly $25 donation--I'm just saying that a donation--no matter how small--can make a difference in ways we never expected possible.

If you believe in something, if you care about something: donate. You don't know how much of a difference your small donation can make.

Unless, of course, they do a press release on it sharing the good news :)

7 comments:

lotusgirl said...

I read about that at Jill's site too. It's a great thing for the industry. That's fantastic about the funds that have been raised. I love seeing that I've made a difference. It's not often obvious, so, when I find out about it, it's nice.

Stina said...

I'd never heard of the publisher until today. Somewhere.

MeganRebekah said...

That's awesome! I love news like this!

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Awesome - I already had them on my reader list, but I'm going to go make sure I keep following them. And YOU!

Elana Johnson said...

I saw this on someone else's blog. I've met Stacy Whitman a few times and she's awesome. So glad for her and Tu Publishing.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I feel the same way as you Beth. It's great to see how Stacy's dream and then a little bit of help from lots of us who believed in the need for multi cultural fantasy books made this happen. I'm so happy for her.

PJ Hoover said...

I was so excited to see this, Beth. It's inspiring and awesome and shows what hard work and visibility can do.