Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bookanista Review: Maureen Johnson's THE NAME OF THE STAR

Maureen Johnson is a must-buy for me. I see a book with her name on it, I buy it.

If you are an MJ fan like me, then you will be so freaking excited by THE NAME OF THE STAR--possibly the best of her entire work, rivaled only by DEVILISH. If you are not an MJ fan (for shame!) then this is a GREAT book to start your upcoming MJ love. GET IT. READ IT.

So here's the thing: MJ knows how to tell a story well. Just follow her Twitter--if she can make 140-character tweets that entertaining, imagine what she can do with a whole book.

But the best part about THE NAME OF THE STAR? Is the plot itself. It's riveting. The basic plot is a girl from America goes to England for boarding school just as a Jack the Ripper copycat killer goes on a rampage. But then the girl becomes a witness--to a killer only she can see.

There's a little of everything in this book: a little funny (true laugh-out-loud moments), a little sad (I cried, I'm not ashamed to admit), a little mystery (who's killing--and how?), a little adventure (see: final battle), and a whole lot of amazing.

Here's the short story: this is a fantastic story wrapped around amazing writing. What's not to love?

Still on the fence? Then click here to read a free sample online!

To find out what the other Bookanistas are reading this week, click any of the links below!


Also: a special thanks to Pam for getting me a copy of the ARC to read! Click here to read Pam's review!

6 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the great review. I'll have to check this out.

Melissa/welachild said...

I'm sold! Too bad my TBR pile is about to topple over :)

Matthew MacNish said...

I've never read any of her novels, but now you sure make me want to!

Anonymous said...

Great review! You made me wanna run out and download all her work!

Katie said...

OH MY WORD BETH I'm so excited about this book. I read the sample and I'm not sure I can wait. and ahhh your review didn't help.

I think MJ is awesome because, among other things, she's a Nerdfighter, and you can't go wrong there. :)

pay per head said...

This blog is really helpful to me, Lots of idea I got from this site.